suspend/hibernate

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed May 17 16:01:13 UTC 2006

yet another question on a new dapper install.  On my last desktop machine I
ran xfce, used a patched kernel and suspend2, and would hibernate with a
shell command.  Now that dapper is here (not to mention xubuntu-dapper,
which also has a hibernate button) I would like to be able to hibernate from
the standard gnome menu button.

Right now the suspend button is doing *something* -- the screen blanks and I
think the hard drives spin down.  However system power stays on -- the
keyboard LED's still function, for instance -- and when I press reset
the system just starts afresh.

I see in the BIOS screen (I have an ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe board, with AMD
3800+ dual-core 64-bit processor) that S1 and S3 ACPI modes are enabled in
BIOS.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  In any case I don't think that gnome
is trying to access the built-in kernel software-suspend-1 functionalities,
but instead is trying to suspend via ACPI.  I think for that I need some
kind of a special partition, and I don't have one so...

SO in an ideal world I'd like:

1) to understand what gnome tries ot do when I hitthe "hibernate" button.
2) figure out if acpi suspend-to-disk is actually n option, andi f it is,
get it working;
3) why now, I guess I could try to figure out if suspend-to-RAM is possible
too;
4) get kernel software-suspend working and understand how to tie it back in
to the menu system
5) if that doesn't work, go back to suspend2 -- which I think is truly
GREAT, but I don't feel like compiling the kernel agian right now.

thanks loads,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094