Flash plug-in : CPU salesman ?!

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 16 01:15:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:23:48 +0200
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
[snip]

> For example when viewing this site : www.europe1.fr CPU usage varies
> between around 70% (at best) and shows spikes at 100% ! I know, that's
> ridiculous, laughable... if it weren't true ! :-/ :o(((((
> If I strip the ad banners to get rid of some of the flash animations, it
> gets a tad better, but still averages 65+ % ! :-O
> I use Epiphany but Firefox yields the same results.

OK - 2 Ghz Celeron, 512MB RAM.

The site  www.europe1.fr starts off using up to 90% CPU, then after a few
seconds it settles down to around 10-12%. I suspect that the "loading"
period is where the CPU gets hit, but I'm on adsl2+ so here it lasts only
a few seconds. I shudder to think what this site would do on a slow
connection....

Oops - just tried it again and it is using 85-90% continuously... Wow,
this site is flash city! Ghastly!

I don't think the problem is the plugin - I think the site's writers need
a powerful application of the boot to their nether regions...

Suggestion: install the flashblock extension, and only click one at a time!
If the cpu goes through the roof, reload the page and the flash should be
blocked again.

I suggest this site for the "Flash Hall of Shame" ;-)

Peter

( rather amazed)

--

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."