Flash plug-in : CPU salesman ?!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue May 16 00:23:48 UTC 2006

I have just got the Macromedia Flash plug-in working on Dapper. Now, I
can at last use again websites that rely on flash.
However, the web browser is very sluggish when viewing flash sites
(always have been though).
So I fired up the system monitor and, oh my god, can this really be
true, it uses a LOT of CPU !

For example when viewing this site : www.europe1.fr CPU usage varies
between around 70% (at best) and shows spikes at 100% ! I know, that's
ridiculous, laughable... if it weren't true ! :-/ :o(((((
If I strip the ad banners to get rid of some of the flash animations, it
gets a tad better, but still averages 65+ % ! :-O
I use Epiphany but Firefox yields the same results.

Before you ask, no, I don't smoke drugs, and no, I am not using my old
486 SX 33 machine ;-), but a very decent 1.5GHz CPU with plenty enough
RAM for the job, which doesn't touch swap.

If people could do the test on their machine if they have a similar CPU,
so I can compare, I would be grateful !

If the results is the same, then this Macromedia plug-in is a piece of
junk ! Or, more probably, it's extremely un-efficient, on purpose,
because they probably made some sort of arrangement with Intel to drive
the CPU market ! ;-/ :o(

I might venture to e-mailing Macromedia. they will probably ignore me or
invite me to buy a the latest dual core Intel CPU ;-/

--
Vince