D-Link DWL-G630 WiFi Card

John van V. john_van_v at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 14:48:50 UTC 2006

Thank you, Ben

I am personally a strong believer in the security and usability strengths of
live CDs.  For many years, I modified the Devil-Linux distribution from being
an IPTABLES platform to having text-only desktop capabilities.  In my version,
only applications, such as GCC would reside on the hard drive.

I don't think I would be able to re-engineer a full blown distribution, such as
Ubuntu, to do the same in any reasonable amount of time.

Thanks again, John

--- ben <ben at cvrse.com> wrote:

> On Monday 15 May 2006 09:54, John van V. wrote:
> > I was really happy to see the both lights on my D-Link DWL-G630 light up
> > when I booted the CD, but I was unable to actually login.
>
> not sure exactly how you go about this with the live cd setup but you need to
>
> compile your own drivers for this card, ubuntu shows the device correctly out
>
> of the box but it wont work. with the same card i've used this guide to get
> everything working http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132980&page=2
>
> to compile you'll need the build-essential, kernel-sources, kernel-headers.
> just make sure you use the /etc/Wireless/RT61STA/rt61sta.dat for your config
> changes and not the ubuntu network GUI as it will stuff things up. good luck
>
> --
> ben
> > --

Linux Society Blog