[Dapper] Flash plug-in doesn't work...

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon May 15 01:37:10 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Dapper x86 (up to date), and the flash plug-in doesn't want
> to work.

Hey Vince..
I've found flash support under linux to be _very_ problematic at the
best of times.
Also there is no support for flash 9 features unless you want to run
firefox and the flash plugin under wine.
I only have one machine (out of three) that is really successful at
playing media and flash stuff and that is my laptop.
My about:plugins says:
Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl 	Yes
Shockwave Flash

    File name: libswfdecmozilla.so
    Shockwave Flash 4.0 animation viewer handled by swfdec-0.3.4.
Plays SWF animations, commonly known as Macromedia(r) Flash(r).

    This is alpha software. It will probably behave in many
situations, but may also ride your motorcycle, drink all your milk, or
use your computer to browse porn. Comments, feature requests, and
patches are welcome.

    See http://www.schleef.org/swfdec/ for information.

    Flash, Shockwave, and Macromedia are trademarks of Macromedia,
Inc. The swfdec software and its contributors are not affiliated with
Macromedia, Inc.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes

Synaptic say I have the following installed:
flashplayer-mozilla
flashplugin-nonfree
gstreamer0.8-swfdec
libswfdec0.3