Powernowd & Centrino Core Duo

onlymee ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed May 10 16:43:37 UTC 2006

Andrew-buntu Wrote:
> Hmm.  Is the userspace daemon a resource hog?

Perhaps not the right wording... But yes, or so it has been suggested
to me.

I think it is mostly a latency thing - userspace daemons have to do
polling

at regular intervals to gather statistics but the Centrino kernel stuff
is supposed to be better at it.

Andrew-buntu Wrote:
> I left mine that way because it was the default and it scaled nicely for
> me so I never messed with it.

Some older chips have none or not so good kernel support for this so
they need userspace daemons (Indeed I had a P4M previously) I think
that's why

it will remain the default for a while.

Andrew-buntu Wrote:
> Never tried CPU hotplugging.  I like powernowd because everything
> happens without me messing with it.

I think I'm gonna write a patch for gnome-power-manager to let me
control

it.  I think I get (not rigourously tested) significant improvement in
battery

performance and lower heat production with one core disabled.  Ideal
for those long haul flights doing little coding tasks etc!

Andrew-buntu Wrote:
> But it sounds neat so I'll give it a shot this weekend for testing's
> sake.

Out of interest dows suspending to disk work with your lappy?  I'm
using suspend 2 and it was rebooting just as it finished resuming all
the time.  It turns out to be a CPU hotplugging thing, since swsusp2
seems to offline all but CPU0 at hibernation and tries to bring them
back up on restart.  Turns out I can hibernate perfectly when running
on one core.

--
onlymee