Lastlog help!

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed May 10 01:06:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:54 am, David Walker wrote:
> I am working on an embedded system, and we're trying to preserve as much
> space as we possibly can.  I noticed a file /var/log/lastlog that is
> about 20megs of....well nothing much.  I was wondering if there is a
> simple way to limit the size of it, or make it so nothing (ssh)
> complains to auth.log that it can't write to /var/log/lastlog.

Do you know what lastlog is all about?  "man lastlog" should show you what all
that "nothing much" is actually logging.

If you really want to disable it without dicking around the config or
recompiling stuff that expect lastlog to exist etc:
sudo ln -sf /dev/null /var/log/lastlog

No more lastlog :)

Cheers,

James
--
There are times when truth is stranger than fiction and lunch time is one
of them.