problem starting mysql - mysqld.sock missing

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Mon May 8 14:43:07 UTC 2006

Ben Edwards (lists) wrote:

> The box was installed with dapper a few months ago.  It is being kept up
> to date but the problem seemed to happen when I changed the IP address.
> I have hone an apt-get remove / install and this has not helped.  Dont
> want to do a --purge as I want to keep the db.

If you're mysql-server is up to date, and MySQL is actually running (are
you sure it is?  Check "ps ax" and see if you see a mysqld_safe process
running), then your /var/run/mysqld should be populated as so:

(base)adconrad at cthulhu:~$ ls -l /var/run/mysqld/
total 4
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 5 2006-05-08 22:41 mysqld.pid
srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 2006-05-08 22:41 mysqld.sock

If it's not, then you've either tripped over an obscure bug (which I'd
like you to file), or there's something seriously wrong with your setup.

Changing your IP won't affect whether the socket is written, the socket
is for local communication.  However, changing your configs in
interesting ways COULD account for MySQL not starting at all, which
would then, obviously, lead to the socket not being written.

... Adam