[Off Topic] Re: Linux security

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Sat May 6 12:07:06 UTC 2006

On 5/6/06, Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> wrote:
> > Sometimes I wonder how people who, by their own admission, know
> > nothing about computers, manage to actively go and install all sorts
> > of spyware,
>
> Because the system they are on makes it easy to install spyware by
> mistake. For example, just by visiting a website. And not just a
> malicious website. What you've described in your example is an insecure
> system. One that makes it easy to do the wrong thing and hard to do the
> right thing.

Eh, no. I'm specifically talking about people who get angry when you
tell them you have to uninstall the BonziBuddy they installed
willingly. I'm not talking about unwanted stuff. I've met these
people, serviced their computers. Otherwise, yes, I agree. But this
isn't a case of the system making it hard to do the right thing. This
is a case of people who have said "With this OS, you don't need to
know about computers to use a computer." Which is oh so very wrong in
so many levels that the current state of affairs is to be expected.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar
MSN: moranar at gmail.com