[OT] wireless headset for it-telephony

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Fri May 5 15:47:22 UTC 2006

Chris_G wrote:
> Not sure if the right place for this - apoligies for the novice approach
> - however your thread seems to tie in with what I'm looking for.
>

> I use a Sony Ericsson P910i and was wondering if it is possible to link
> it to my computer as a bluetooth headset - so that when I'm using Skype
> on my computer I can just talk through my mobile...?
>

> When I try link my computer and phone using the headset link - the
> computer tells me that the phone doesn't have that functionality -
> however it will link as an audio gateway and work in reverse - i.e.
> calls through my phone come out of my computer sound system...
>

> So the questions is...can I do this or do I need to get a seperate
> bluetooth headset?

I am going off of my experience from 4 years ago when I worked for a
company doing Bluetooth development.  The cell phone companies were
really worried about people using their phones for making calls that did
not route through their networks...  The protocols are set up to be very
direction specific in order to allow them their peace of mind.  Thus the
headset protocol, as an end point (read audio device) is not available
on the phone, but sending the data to an endpoint is.  Your computer,
being a much more general purpose device, can do both serve audio data,
and accept it.

To make a long story short, you will probably need a separate headset.

-Matt