Administration -> Shared Folders basically doesn't work. True?

Alexander Kuznetsov shlaptop at mail.ru
Fri May 5 09:53:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 15:42 +0700, Chanchao wrote:

> The problem now is that I STILL get the prompt for a username and
> password.  I can get in by typing 'guest' without a password but that's
> not really perfect.  Thank you very much so far though... At least
> people can get in now if I tell them the username. :)

I have had exactly the same problem :)

Solution:

In the smb.conf file in [global] section add or change line

security = share

And in the share section ([shared] in your conf) add line

guest only = yes

Windows dialog box should disappear.

BTW, do you know how to start|stop|restart samba from command line?