Ubuntu Dial up settings

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu May 4 04:59:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-05 at 04:22 +0100, towsonu2003 wrote:

> Alan McKinnon Wrote:
> > But modems are fairly reliable things, at least we can usually still
> > pick one up second hand. And it's something you only do once per
> > given system

> may be in the US. Not abroad... They are either very hard to find, or
> very expensive abroad.

I'm going to have to agree with towsonu2003 on this, Alan.  Here in
China it's almost impossible to get modems anymore.  If you're connected
to the Internet at all at home you're probably connected broadband.
When I first came here five years ago some people still connected by
modem.  But now I don't know anybody who uses a modem.  It's all
broadband -- and pretty damned fast broadband too.  With no bandwidth
restrictions.

> Ubuntu
> devels should join their forces with linmodems.org to make Ubuntu usable
> outside United States (hence "Linux for human beings", not "Americans").

Well, the only Internet experience I have outside of Canada tells me
that modems aren't going to be an issue for much longer.  By percentage
of users, China has far more broadband access than does the USA for
example.  If you have the Internet at all, it's very highly likely that
you have broadband.  (To the tune of "I don't know anybody left anymore
who uses a modem".)  Whereas at least half of my US contacts in MSN and
the like use modem.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
institution of slavery in the States where it exists." --Abraham Lincoln