Off track

Lorin B Pino ljpino at grundyec.net
Thu May 4 01:49:53 UTC 2006

lex wrote:

> With respect to the relative ease or difficulty of getting operating
> systems like MS Windows, UBUNTU and other Linuxes to work, could the
> amount and type of traffic on forums and lists like this one be an
> indicator of which system users require more assistance or would it be
> merely an indicator of the popularity of the system?  This UBUNTU list
> far outruns the others.
>
> alex

If you check out the fedora core list, you will find that it has a bit
more trafic than this one.  On the other hand, it is mostly problems,
and was a real encouragement to try something other than FC 5.  CentOS
seems good, but the community has less patience for newbie desktop
questions, than newbie server questions.  Mandriva seems to have had an
exodus with the last release, and the community traffic dropped a lot.
(So what is up with Mandriva getting the top spot in Tux magazine?  I
may have to try it to see what is upsetting people so.)  So if there is
anyone here thinking of trying another distro, I highly recommend
subscribing to their list for a while first.  I have liked what I have
seen here, and should have a disc on the way to try ubuntu.  I am going
to try Linspire for my wife, but I still want to play with others just
to see what is out there.  I haven't settled on a distro that I want to
stick with just yet, but even with the lack of computer skills on my
part, I have no intention of going back to MS, except for an old '98 box
that will only be used for educational software for my three children.

Whatever flavor of linux you try, there will be challenges.  The type of
people on the mailing list is an important factor, especially for a newb
like me.  So, it is not just traffic, or content, but a combination of
both that tells about the distro.

~Lorin
currently Suse 9.2/CentOS 4.2
stuck in the state of Missouri