BGP: Border Gateway Protocol

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed May 3 21:49:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:16:34PM +0700, LinuxMurah.com wrote:
> I just finish read some article about advance routing using Zebra,
> Quagga. It said that using dynamic routing can make internet
> connection more faster. is that true?

In a way, yes.  But not in the way you want to use it.

> Is that true if I'm using 2 line ADSL with 384 Kbps for my local
> network then total bandwidth will be 384x2 = 768Kbps ? So if a line
> can use for downloading with 40 Kbps then when I'm using 2 lines then
> download speed will be 80 Kbps (more less)?

No, unless you're using inverse multiplexing to make the two physical links
appear as a single (higher capacity) link to the IP layer.  You don't do
this with Quagga, though, your ISP needs to do various very low-level
things, and you need to have some special hardware at your end, too.

> Or this ZEBRA can only switch from a line to another when one of them got
> down?

No.

Quagga and Zebra are used to manage dynamic routing -- modifying the way
your packets get routed out of your system and onto the Internet.  To take
advantage of it, you need a lot more than a couple of consumer-grade DSL
lines into your house.  Typically you need to have a couple of hundred of
internet-facing hosts before it becomes practical to even consider such a
thing, and it's fair to say that you're not going to be running that off a
pair of 384Kb DSL lines.

What you probably want to look at are some of the recipes in the LARTC
(Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control HOWTO -- google it).  In there,
you can find recipes that will (for example) send different TCP sessions out
of different external connections, which means that, although each session
can only go at the speed of one DSL line, you at least can have two of them
going at once.  Not so useful for home users (unless you're a real download
lover), but a decent sized office can benefit nicely from such an
arrangement.

- Matt