Ubuntu Dial up settings

towsonu2003 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 2 15:00:58 UTC 2006

Navi Chand Wrote:
> I tried but i was unable to configure dial up settings in ubuntu os.Can
>

> someone please help me?

You'll find nice instructions on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto

Very briefly, the steps are:

1. download and run scanmodem

2. identify modem in modemdata.txt

3. download any drivers needed, compile if necessary, install,
configure

4. configure and use wvdial (my favorite) to dial out.

But do read the first few sections of the wiki.

> > Chances are Ubuntu won't work with your modem. It basically only
> works

> > with old style modems that you plug into a serial port.

My observations here (forum) makes me think most winmodems will
probably work with Ubuntu, but you will need (extreme) patience and
(good) luck. To give you an example, it took me 3 months and about 5
distros to learn how to configure the winmodem and to dial out.

--
towsonu2003