off topic

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 2 12:25:54 UTC 2006

Michael T. Richter wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-01-05 at 10:55 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> > Took me 2 weeks to get my first ubuntu working. Im hoping its a lot
>> > easier in dapper.
>
>> It took me 20 minutes, because I bought a laptop that was already known
>> to work with Ubuntu, and only got the options that were already known to
>> work
>> with Ubuntu.  Oh wait, that's exactly what you'd do if buying a Windows
>> computer!
>
> Count the number of computers and options known to work with Windows.
> Count the number of computers and options known to work with Ubuntu.
> Learn what a "ratio" is.

There's no need to be insulting.  I made a valid point.  I absolutely know
that far more computers work with Windows than Ubuntu, but it's also not
difficult to find a computer that _does_ work with Ubuntu.  I basically
narrowed my choices to about 3 laptops - without ever considering Linux
support - then bought the cheapest one I could get in a configuration that
I knew would support Linux.  If you were buying a machine on which to run
Windows, you'd do the same - the only difference is that you'd fully expect
the hardware to be supported without additional checking.
--
derek