DLL vs Shared Library

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Mar 30 19:27:34 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 21:04, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I think you misunderstood the argument.  It isn't that unused
> shared libs waste disk space, it is that it is nice to be able to
> simply copy a program from one machine to another and have it just
> work, as opposed to failing to load because one or more dependent
> libraries are not also installed, or because a bunch of registry
> entries are missing or something.  It is ease of use vs efficiency.

No, I understood the argument all right - I have a passing knowledge
of Apple's design goals and the choices they made to support them. I
tossed an almost non-sequiter in there to defend this absurdity:

develop linux-2.6.16 # du -sh /usr/lib
1.7G    /usr/lib

So, it was a good natured troll if you will. I see you fed it :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za