Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Mar 30 19:04:44 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 20:08, Colin Brace wrote:
> On 3/29/06, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:
> > That brings up a quetion, I've been considering educating myself
> > in some computer language or whatnot to start to give back to the
> > open source community. what is the best place to start?
>
> In my experience it stimulates the learning process immensely if
> you have a specific objective and/or can immediately start doing
> something useful with your skills as you acquire them.  In that
> light, learning shell scripting is highly worthwhile, as you can do
> all kinds of fun stuff, and it is not difficult. It will give you a
> some basic programming skills *and* some very handy tools.

Good first choice. Excellent second choice is python - you can use it
immediately with little effort, it's awesomely useful and the skills
learned transfer to all decent languages with ease.

Stuff to avoid at all costs:
php, vb, basic (all variants). Reason: they do the exact opposite of
what python does

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za