Creative Commons cafe - looking for music player software

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 14:00:52 UTC 2006

Hmmm... well the goom plugin for xmms works, it slows down a lot if
you try to go fullscreen, but I suppose if I turn the resolution of
the monitor right down it'd work, and as long as it doesn't crash
that's good.

The goom plugin even displays the artist and song name when the track
changes, but you don't seem to be able to configure it to display
other fields or to change how it displays (i.e. keep it up there,
don't fade it out).

We want to display: artist, track name, album name, an extra note
about where you can buy or download the album (which we'll put in some
tag), and another note about how The Forest only plays free as in
freedom music (again, in some tag that we'll apply to all the files).

The OSD plugin only has an option to display the track name, so it's
no good, we need more than that.

Also XMMS's GUI doesn't seem ideal, especially for searching a large
music library. If we could get plugins for BMP that would be better,
but I feel something like Rhythmbox or Banshee would be ideal. That
GUI approach is much more suited to our use case - basically we can
point the app to a music folder and have it play random tracks from
that folder, if an artist rips his CD onto the machine (we'll
configure SoundJuicer to rip to the right folder in ogg vorbis) then
it'll automatically appear in the music player, or it should, the next
time the folder is scanned. The non-playlist focused approach is more
suitable to a cafe environment, where someone might go up to the
computer search for a track or album, and set that to play next, and
it's easy to set it back to playing everything again afterward. They
just don't have the plugins to display the info we need.

We could actually use the 'Small display' view of rhythmbox, which
displays the artist, song name and album name, and then could run some
other pretty animation app or something behind it... this new small
mode for banshee would be even better:
http://abock.org/2006/03/27/the-implemented-window/ because it also
displays cover art. Also Banshee has tag editing built into it which
will be useful, although it doesn't support mass-tagging. Not sure
exactly what we'd run in the background though. Any stand-alone
visualisation apps?

Muine might work quite well... the GUI only has one mode, but it
displays the necessary info about the song along with the album cover,
it has good functionality for searching a folder of music and adding
things to the playlist, and if we combine it with some of its plugins,
like MuineTagger...

Maybe we can actually do some hacking to integrate the necessary
pieces of software for this?