Problem installing Creative Webcam Live! Ultra

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Wed Mar 29 04:48:13 UTC 2006

John Schofield wrote:
> Thomas Kaiser and arnieboy pointed me to pretty much the same info:

> http://www.kaiser-linux.li/index.php/Ububtu_Linux
>
> (Thanks a bunch to both of you!)
>

> I followed both, on fresh installs of Ubuntu 5.10.
>
> Both compiled and installed without errors.
>
> In reading the forum posting, it seemed to be about people who had
> problems with GnomeMeeting (or other webcam apps) crashing.
>
> My problem (which I should have been more explicit about earlier) is
> that the camera is not recognized. GnomeMeeting reports "No device
> found." It never gets to the point where it would crash.
>
> I installed gqcam and it reports /dev/video does not exist.
>
> So I'm thinking that my Creative Webcam Live! Ultra is not actually
> running a ICM532 chipset. Anyone know if this camera is SUPPOSED to
> work with spca5xx? It's not listed on their website as compatible,  and
> so far my Google-fu has been weak.
>

> John

Hello John

Check /var/log/kern.log and see what spca5xx is reporting. You could
load the spca5xx module with a higher debug level (3, 4 or 5)and see
what is in /var/log/kern.log. (sudo modprobe -r spca5xx, sudo modprobe
spca5xx debug=3)

Please post the messages from your log. If the webcam is not listed on
the spca5xx webside, post to the mailing list of spca5xx and ask for
support. Add as many information as you can get about your device
(Sensor, brige, USB ID,...) And maybe put a usbsnoop somewhere on the
net :-)

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li