Problem installing Creative Webcam Live! Ultra

John Schofield schoflist at dakim.com
Tue Mar 28 23:53:42 UTC 2006

Thomas Kaiser and arnieboy pointed me to pretty much the same info:

http://www.kaiser-linux.li/index.php/Ububtu_Linux

(Thanks a bunch to both of you!)

I followed both, on fresh installs of Ubuntu 5.10.

Both compiled and installed without errors.

In reading the forum posting, it seemed to be about people who had
problems with GnomeMeeting (or other webcam apps) crashing.

My problem (which I should have been more explicit about earlier) is
that the camera is not recognized. GnomeMeeting reports "No device
found." It never gets to the point where it would crash.

I installed gqcam and it reports /dev/video does not exist.

So I'm thinking that my Creative Webcam Live! Ultra is not actually
running a ICM532 chipset. Anyone know if this camera is SUPPOSED to
work with spca5xx? It's not listed on their website as compatible,
and so far my Google-fu has been weak.

John

John Schofield
Director, Information Technology