Problem installing Creative Webcam Live! Ultra

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Tue Mar 28 22:51:26 UTC 2006

John Schofield wrote:
> Although my camera is not listed, the closest match seemed to be the
> Spca5xx project at:
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
>
> They list several Creative cameras, including one "Live!" one, but  not
> the Ultra.
>
> Because it seemed like a close match and *might* work, I downloaded
> their package and attempted to install it.
>
> Their instructions say you need to have a kernel source tree:
>
> "Module compile outside the kernel tree but need the source of your
> running
> kernel installed and configured.
> be sure your kernel include usb and v4l stuff"
>
> So I ran "apt-get install kernel-package-2.6.12-10" and then  "fakeroot
> make-kpkg --revision=bogus.0 kernel_image"
>
> When I run "make" from inside the "spca5xx-20060301" folder, I get  the
> following output:
> "Building SPCA5XX driver for 2.5/2.6 kernel.
>    Remember: you must have read/write access to your kernel source  tree.
> make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/dakim/
> spca5xx-20060301 CC=cc modules
> make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-386/build: No such file or  directory.
> Stop.
> make: *** [default] Error 2"
Hey John

See this instructions for compiling spca5xx for Ubuntu
http://www.kaiser-linux.li/index.php/Ububtu_Linux

if it does not work (i am a little outdated with the current spca5xx)
come back here or send me a mail.

Regards, Thomas

PS: I had never problems to run webcams with spca5xx.

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li