X weirdness

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 10:44:45 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Sridhar M.A. <mas at mylug.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am now facing another problem. At the gdm screen, if I login, I get a
> window with the following message:
>
>     I could not start your session and so I have started the failsafe
>     xterm session ...

I got into a similar situation on two occassions:

First, when for some reason, the loopback interface was not started.
I later found that the loopback interface got started not in the form of
127.0.0.1, but in some ipv6 form (sit something) which don't recall.

Second, when gnome failed to write to some configuration file
(IIRC, Xauthority was not writable). I had to manually change the
permissions on that file.

Not sure if the above info could be of any help in your case.

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee