How to promote Ubuntu Dapper?

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 06:58:28 UTC 2006

On 3/27/06, Ali Milis <almilis at gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, I hope that my English is good enough so that
> this email is not misunderstood. I have no intention to nag
> anyone. I myself am a happy kubuntu user, and I have *NO*
> intention to migrate to another distribution.
>
> However, I have difficulties to explain/to promote UBUNTU
> to colleagues and others. Is there any Ubuntu Evangelist that
> can share his/her experience to promote UBUNTU to "lay-people".
> There are at least two points where I do not a good answer:
>
> 1. Why Ubuntu does not use an anaconda like installer?
> 2. Why wait for Dapper, when FC5 is available today?
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Raja Ali M.I. Ilias, Bengkalis, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AliMilis
> Counted GNU/Linux Engineer # 405138 - http://counter.li.org/

> Hi Ali!

I run both Ubuntu and FC4 (soon to be upgraded to FC5) on our laptop and FC5
on another desktop machine.  I am on both the Fedora and Ubuntu mail lists.
I am also VP of a small LUG in the Seattle area.

Basically I believe that FC5, which branches from Redhat, is a bit more
built for making servers and development systems.  The people on the Fedora
list seem a bit more technically inclined and there seems to be a higher
percentage of Linux professionals there.

Ubuntu is being made for the regular guy or gal.  Dapper will branch into
the server force and is designed for enterprise but the construction is
starting from a standard workstation point of view and the progress in my
opinion is stunning!

The installer design is determined, I think, by the distribution intent (and
by a lot of history in the case of Fedora).

I would place both in the "late teens" as far as "system maturity" is
concerned.

In terms of your first question well, why wait?  It is free, people are all
different, and if you like FC5 be happy with it.  If you want to try Ubuntu
there is a live CD or you can boot both as I do.

One interesting note from my LUG involvement.  The professionals in the
group try everything and have landed on Ubuntu.  They like the "needs a bit
less tweaking" thing.  Having said that, I am probably the only one in the
group who has FC5 up yet (many run FC4).

Redhat has a good professional education and use base.  Ubuntu is growing
consistently fastest.  I believe the future will contain both.

Have a lot of fun!!

Tod