installation on celeron400/intel-i440BX laptop

Luigi Ponti luigiponti at comcast.net
Mon Mar 27 18:15:32 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have tried to install Ubuntu 5.10 on my laptop provided with a Celeron
400 processor, an Intel i-440BX chipset, 150 Mb RAM memory, and a 5 Gb
IBM travelstar hard disk.

The default installation seems to work fine until the very end when it
tries to load GNOME. At this stage, there is a speeding wheel on a
yellow screen that stops moving and nothing more happens.

However when installing just the server version, it does works: I am
able to login and run applications.

Is there a known fix to this? Is there a way to get the desktop GUI in
place?

Thanks in advance,

Luigi