Re-installing GRUB / Windows

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Mar 26 06:04:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

I would like/need to re-install Windows on my machine, but it will I
think make the GRUB menu disappear, so I won't be able to start Ubuntu
afterward :-/

I have two hard drives, machines boots on hda where there is WindowsXP
(FAT32 filesystem), and Breezy.
The other drive, hdc, has Dapper installed on it.
GRUB is on hda of course as that's where the machine boots, and it uses
Dapper's menu.lst.

What I have: Dapper Flight5 install CD, and Breezy CD (live and
install).

The only idea I can come up with, is to boot on the Dapper Install CD,
cancel the install so as to get to the installer menu, and select
"install GRUB".

This way I am hoping it will not overwrite/damage the existing
installation, and will just re-install GRUB.

Would this work ? If not, what would be the next easiest way to
re-install GRUB ?

Thanks much in advance for rescuing me ;-)

I think it's such a typical use case, there might as well be an option
just for it in the main menu when you boot the CD ! ;-)

--
Vince