Fridge: MEPIS Founder Plans Transition To Ubuntu

Mark Warner markwarner1954 at att.net
Sat Mar 25 23:33:49 UTC 2006

Chanchao wrote:

> Well. 'Whatever'.. I honestly can't see what the point would be for
> Mepis to exist, with Ubuntu around. (But then I don't understand that
> for most distros except for perhaps a handful of them that cover
> specific niches like Puppylinux or that thing that's dedicated to
> being a MythTV box, and so on.
>
> People need hobbies I guess, so they take (K)Ubuntu, change the theme
> and desktop graphic and add some of their tools and call it Mepis
> instead of Mubuntu or some such. <Shrugs all around>

MEPIS is a fine distribution, equal if not superior to Ubuntu (imo), and
it has been around longer than Ubuntu. Unfortunately, Warren Woodford
doesn't have the resources of a Mark Shuttleworth. If they can combine
their talents and resources toward making each distro a strong and
vibrant alternative in the "marketplace", then that's a good thing.

--
Mark Warner