vncserver works fine, but how to I start an app?

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 16:10:06 UTC 2006

On 3/24/06, Andy Anderson <opus at slowlanecafe.com> wrote:
> Duncan Anderson wrote:
>
> > On Friday, 24 March 2006 15:48, Andy Anderson wrote:
> >
> >>I installed vncserver on Ubuntu 5.10, and it works fine, but
> >>when I connect to it with a viewer it just gives me a blank
> >>X screen.  I suspect that I need to feed vncserver the
> >>equivalent of an .initrc file.  If that is correct, how
> >>is that done?
> >>

> > Well, one way is to ssh into the machine, then set the DISPLAY variable to
> > correspond with the VNC display, then run the windowmanager of your choice,
> > or an individual client, whatever you prefer. Maybe run xterm and then take
> > it from there. I normally just run WindowMaker and proceed from there. You
> > could run sawfish or metacity or whatever.
>
> I'll give that a try - sounds like it should work.  However, I'd
> really like it to be more "automatic" than that.  What I need
> to do is set up an Ubuntu machine with 3 or 4 vncservers running
> so that a few Windows users can use a viewer to run an app on
> the Ubuntu box (all I really need to do is get one app to start
> in the vncviewer automatically).
>
> Thanks for you time and suggestion.

once you have ran the vino-preferences once to set them up you dont
need to do it again.
a quick way round your problem would be to have the app always running
in gnome (add it to the session - System --> Preferneces --> sessions)
Itwill run whenever gnome is run then. you can then vnc into t and it
will always be there

Tom