vncserver works fine, but how to I start an app?

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 14:09:09 UTC 2006

On Friday, 24 March 2006 15:48, Andy Anderson wrote:
> I installed vncserver on Ubuntu 5.10, and it works fine, but
> when I connect to it with a viewer it just gives me a blank
> X screen.  I suspect that I need to feed vncserver the
> equivalent of an .initrc file.  If that is correct, how
> is that done?
>
> --
> Andy Anderson
> Salisbury, MD, USA
> http://www.slowlanecafe.com
>
> "A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."
>                                                       - Anonymous

Well, one way is to ssh into the machine, then set the DISPLAY variable to
correspond with the VNC display, then run the windowmanager of your choice,
or an individual client, whatever you prefer. Maybe run xterm and then take
it from there. I normally just run WindowMaker and proceed from there. You
could run sawfish or metacity or whatever.

cheers
Duncan