Thick client and unionfs on / ?

Jason Straight jason at jeetkunedomaster.net
Thu Mar 23 15:48:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've got a thick client setup with 24 stations mounting / on nfs, I'm trying
to edit initrd init to mount / on a unionfs.

Problem is now that I've got initrd's init script setup to mount the union and
mount $rootmnt to the union I still have permissions problems during init
writing things such as /dev/null and /etc/motd, kdm starts with dcop errors.

However after the system is finished booting I have no problems like motd
asking if I want to override mode 0644 when I try to move /etc/modt.tmp
to /etc/motd

Any ideas on the best way to go about having a / unionfs?