cant get my modem to dial out

Bill Cairns Bill.Cairns at eskom.co.za
Thu Mar 23 05:27:43 UTC 2006

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE

which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

There is another way of configuring and connecting to a dial up connection:

Go to System > Administration > Networking and you will find another menu that allows the dial up configuration. Once the network is configured you use the same menu to connect. (It needs your password to connect).

The silly thing is that I could not get pppconfig and pon to work either until I had connected once this way. After that once, pon works fine. I cannot repeat the situation without a re-install so I have decided to write it off as malicious actions by the pixies (or, as this is Ubuntu, by the tokolosh).

Bill

CJ's Reply:

ok, so i set up the modem, tried the command and it didnt work. I also tried "sudo pon [service provider]" and it didnt work either. So i went into the directory it specified on the error message and found out that there was a connection setup, but under a different name. so i tried that name (sorry i dont recall the name) and it gave me machine language. it wouldnt connect to the internet. i wonder if this is because i am using the live cd or not. any suggestions?

end of reply