cant get my modem to dial out

CJ Kelley debian_i386 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 00:24:21 UTC 2006

CJ Kelley <debian_i386 at yahoo.com> wrote:

squareyes <squareyes at internode.on.net> wrote: CJ Kelley wrote:

> I reciently got my modem set up under ubuntu and so far, it seems to
> be working properly. Ubuntu has detected and setup the drivers for my
> modem. I got the modem activated and it still seems to be running
> good. now all i need to do is just to get it connected to the net, but
> i couldnt find a daemon that would connect my modem to the internet. i
> know very little linux commands, so i will need alot of help with
> getting my modem connected. I have all my user name and password setup.

> Yahoo! Travel
> Find great deals
>
> to the top 10 hottest destinations!

Hi CJ,
open a terminal, and type pppconfig
set up your internet connection there, it will try to find your modem,
if it doesn't find it you will have to enter the port yourself, and when
done,
type at command line   pon (and whatever you put in the configure as
your isp.
and press enter to disconnect type poff. If you didn't put anything
where it asks for your isp,
just type "pon" (without the quotes) and press enter.
e.g. I type to connect   pon internode
Hope this helps
Take Care
Winton

CJ's Reply:
Thank you so very much for your help. This would be the first time for me trying to establish a successful network connection (as i used ubuntu for games). If i experience any  problems, though i doubt i will, i will contact telling my problem
End of reply

CJ's Reply:
ok, so i set up the modem, tried the command and it didnt work. I also tried "sudo pon [service provider]" and it didnt work either. So i went into the directory it specified on the error message and found out that there was a connection setup, but under a different name. so i tried that name (sorry i dont recall the name) and it gave me machine language. it wouldnt connect to the internet. i wonder if this is because i am using the live cd or not. any suggestions?
end of reply