Breezy --> Dapper via APT question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 20 19:10:20 UTC 2006

Please don't top-post.  I know you think it's easier, but I want to respond
to you _and_ the OP, and you make it difficult.

Michael V. De Palatis wrote:

> I wouldn't immediately say that sounds too surprising. What kind of
> packages were they? Oftentimes a dist-upgrade ends up removing a lot
> of deprecated packages, so it's likely not anything to worry about.
> But just to be sure, you should look and see what is being removed.

I'd agree for one thing, there's a major ABI change in there resulting in
lots of current packages (generally libraries) having a 'c2a' suffix.  If
most of the packages you see being removed begin with "lib" and their names
only differ from the ones being installed by changing 'c2' to 'c2a', then
that's fine.

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:31:58AM -0600, C Hamel wrote:
>> I plan on using 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to go to the latest Dapper (I
>> hope).  I did a dry run to see what was going to be done & was concerned
>> about the fact
>> that 50 pkgs are going to be removed.  AFAIK I have the default repos in
>> sources.list:
>>
>> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe main restricted
>> multiverse
>> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
>> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security universe multiverse
>> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe main restricted
>> multiverse
>>
>> Did I miss any...? Are these correct...?

Yes, and no. :-)  You've repeated "dapper" - one of those should be
"dapper-updates" (though I don't expect you to find anything in
dapper-security or dapper-updates, yet).
--
derek