webcam and ubuntu

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Fri Mar 17 22:02:01 UTC 2006

Philip Axer wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm going to buy a webcam. (In fact will buy two but this doesn't matter
> :) )
> Is there a list or something where I can see which webcam works out of
> the box?
> Currently I'm using breezy, but when the webcam will be on duty I'll be
> using dapper.
>
> Philip

Hello Philip

The spca5ss webcam driver is included in Ubuntu. This driver supports at
the moment 205 webcams see http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html :-). I
don't know which version was included in Breezy, but for sure it was
less webcams. Unfortunatly, spca5xx was broken in Breezy and I don't
know how it will be in the next release. Anyway spca5xx supports a lot
of webcams and it is easy to compile from source :-) See
http://www.kaiser-linux.li/index.php/Ububtu_Linux

I hope this information helps.

Regards, Thomas

--