[Dapper] Mouse

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Fri Mar 17 17:34:50 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 22:17, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:01:24 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:
>
> [ And Peter Garrett previously wrote ]
>
> > > I take your point about mouse settings  - but my point remains that
> > > _for a naive user_ , clicking behaviour would be expected to be
> > > under a "mouse" heading rather than a "file management" setting.
> >
> > Without meaning to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons, I'd suggest
> > that click behaviour goes in a third category, Desktop. To
> > illustrate:
> >
> > Desktop:
> > 	Click behaviour
> > 	Menus
> > 	Background
> > 	etc
>
> < snipped>
>
> Yes, that makes sense - in fact if it were labelled "Click Behaviour" that
> would be pretty clear - *but*  there are, in fact, "Click Behaviour"
> settings already under "Mouse": -  just not single/double click settings.
>
> Really, I feel it's just a question of making this discoverable to the new
> user - I'm not looking at it from a "logical" viewpoint so much as a
> "where can a user find the setting?" viewpoint. The new user cares little
> where it is, just as long as it is obvious!
>
> There may be good technical reasons why the "Mouse" dialogue can't handle
> this function as well. I'm not a coder so I can't say. It does seem to me
> that either having the double/single click option in both places
> ( programmers don't like redundancy, but users might in a case like this),
> or at least a pointer to the place to do it, might be an idea. For example:
> a button to click that launches that function from within the "mouse"
> dialogue.
>
> People are used to clickable links, right ?  ;-)
>

>  -- Peter Garrett

Point(s) taken.  Poor choice of words on my part (illogical), perhaps. :-)
However, I still maintain that burying a global setting in a file mgr is not
logical; it belongs somewhere in the system settings & one can argue where,
from there. ;-)
--
	...CH

This message was scanned for Spam and Viruses by Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall