wireless card for laptop

Carson Wilcox carson.wilcox at verizon.net
Fri Mar 17 15:54:57 UTC 2006

Thanks for the response, I ordered the card

Frank Merenda <fmerenda at yahoo.com> wrote:  Carson Wilcox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could recomend either a wireless PCMCIA card
> or wireless usb for an older laptop I just install Breezy on.

I can *highly* recommend cards based on the Rt2500 chipset, the driver is open
source and included in the distrubution now. The cards work out of the box. They
are also usually very inexpensive, but not cheap.

I have a ZoNet card, it was only $20/us and works flawlessly. You can get one at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130117

Here's more about the driver if you are interested:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

This manufacturer open sourced it's drivers, so I try to support them.

Oh, and ubuntu info about this chipset and how to use cards based on it is here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/RalinkRT2500?action=show&redirect=Rt2500WirelessCardsHowTo

and a bunch of cards based on this chipset are here:

http://ralink.rapla.net/

Take care,
-Frank