Some usability ideas for Ubuntu

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV rick at rickandpatty.com
Fri Mar 17 04:25:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 00:09 +0000, Tristan Wibberley wrote:

>  > 4. Evolution
>  >
>  >     Evolution should be able to minimize to the notification area by
>  > default.

> I don't understand, what do you need that for that closing it doesn't
> handle?

I understand.  I'd like evolution to check for mail in the background
(since it seems to be the only mail app out there that will talk to
work's Exchange server), and not take up a bunch of space in the window
list while doing so.

"Alltray" is a nice hack that makes Evolution behave in a more sane
manner, but that was an extra step to set up.

> This dialogue is for programs that want to specifically start a web
> browser window or your email program. Filetype associations are handled
> by nautilus - directly at the file. The preferred applications dialogue
> once had a full and reconfigurable list of uri schemes handlers, it
> would be nice to see that come back, but I think that would need support
> from GNOME.

The preferred applications dialog is actually confusing for new users,
since they expect "Preferred applications" to show, well, preferred
applications for opening files.  If it's not there, they assume that the
application can't be changed unless they get lucky and find the place to
change things in Nautilus.

(I gave my wife an Ubuntu breezy laptop and she had this problem.)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick at rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com