Dapper: vim instead of nano as editor alternative?
cgrigs at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 16 22:18:29 UTC 2006
Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 16 March 2006 20:42, Alexandre Franke wrote:
>>On 3/16/06, Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:
>>>Except that dropping to a console is still required fairly often
>>Can't sudo gedit /some/file do the trick ?
> gedit will be the newbies first choice, but what will they do if X
> won't start?
1. Open mc (Midnight commander); copy targetfile to targetfile.old.
2. Close mc.
3. Fetch my copy of Linux in a Nutshell to the section on vi.
4. Open vi targetfile.
5. Make changes, constantly consulting Linux in a Nutshell.
6. Check and recheck.
7. Save file and exit vi.
8. Cross fingers and test modified file.
9. If successful, celebrate. If not, cuss, rinse and repeat as required.
More information about the ubuntu-users