Dapper: vim instead of nano as editor alternative?

Bas van Gils basvg at cs.ru.nl
Thu Mar 16 21:49:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:36:10PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Except that dropping to a console is still required fairly often, even
> for newbies (and unlikely to change soon). Newbies have a helluva
> time coping with vim, and at that stage the focus is on helping them
> get the file edited, not figuring out how vim works. Us old timers
> get to pay the price of changing one setting and in return the OS
> becomes much more usable to lots of new users.

Exactly! Couldn't agree more. The power of linux lies in the fact that you get
a choice. Being flexible is a good thing. Just change the $EDITOR and $VISUAL
settings in your chell (~/.bashrc or ~/.cshrc or something similar) to the
editor of your choise.

Personally I store all my favorite settings there (for example my $PS1) and
copy these files across machines so that I have the same settings everywhere.

> The best illustration is this .sig from my good mate Adrian:
>
> /*
> Disclaimer - These opiini^H^H damn! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .. :w :q :wq :wq! ^d
> X^? exit X Q ^C ^c ^? :quitbye CtrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout
> save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZZZZZ ^H man vi ^@ ^L ^[c ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T ?
> help helpquit ^D ^d man help ^C exit ?Quit ?q CtrlShftDel "Hey, what
> does this button d..."
> */

Hehe, this one is just too funny. I think I like your buddy already (even
though i'm a happy vi user myself)!

Cheers

  Bas

--
<Bas.vanGils at cs.ru.nl> - GPG Key ID: 2768A493  -  http://www.cs.ru.nl/~basvg
Radboud University Nijmegen Institute for Computing and Information Sciences