boot problem: kernel panic

chan henry cshenrychan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 13:29:10 UTC 2006

hi,

yesterday i found that my ubuntu box is not responding. i rebooted it but it
failed to boot. it give me a debug screen.

on the screen is reads:
kernel panic- not syncing: attempted to kill init!

on the previous lines, it showed that the box has failed to populate rootfs,
then the kernel panic occured. just after grub pass control to kernel
loader.

was it a hardware or software problem? i have tried the live-cd, unpluging
everything on the mainboard but it showed the same screen again.

thx in advance!
- henry