[Dapper upgrade] subprocess paste killed by signal?

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:54:33 UTC 2006

On 15/03/06, Ben Novack <bhn3 at pitt.edu> wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> So I tried to move to Dapper, and got this when running apt-get dist-upgrade:
>
> Unpacking openoffice.org-help-en-us [...]
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-help-en-us_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_all.deb
> (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/openoffice/help/en/default.css', which
> is also in package openoffice.org-help-en
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-help-en-us_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_all.deb
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
>
> As a result, I can't make progress, and my box is in a horribly broken
> state. Suggestions, anyone?

You may have to go to command line and use aptitude or apt-get...

remove the offending package, openoffice.org-help-en

sudo aptitude remove openoffice.org-help-en
then,
sudo aptitude -f install
that will attempt to fix anything else...
then you can try the dist-upgrade again.

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
~ http://darrylclarke.com