wxWidgets libraries in Dapper

Julio Biason julio.biason at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 00:37:01 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Otto Wyss <otto.wyss at orpatec.ch> wrote:
> First of all I'm not sure if this the right mailing list for my subject,
> so please forward it to the right one and CC me.

I believe it is. :)

> I've tried out Ubuntu 5.10 and are considering to switch from Debian but
> I'm curious why the wxWidgets libraries aren't included by default. IMO
> it's important that these libraries are available without having to
> download them first.

Well, probably because there isn't any applications on the default
install that uses wxWidgets. Leaving a lib just for the good of it
isn't a nice reason, as the main focus of Ubuntu is to offer a
complete desktop solution in just ONE CD. So, space counts.

Also, now on my personal opinion, wxWidgets isn't a necessity. GTK+
can work on multple plataforms (Windows included) and it is WAY faster
than wx. One major application that used wx was Bittorrent and, right
now, they are using pure GTK, even on Windows.

--
Julio Biason <julio.biason at gmail.com>