Grub Not Running When 3 Partitions (Breezy)

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Mon Mar 13 22:42:03 UTC 2006

I am having an odd problem with booting.  When I install Breezy with
this partitioning (approximate sizes) of an 80 GB disk, it works:

  /dev/sda1  ext3  /  79 GB
  /dev/sda2  swap      1 GB

Grub won't run when I change to, the machine won't boot:

  /dev/sda1  ext3  /  35 GB
  /dev/sda2  swap      1 GB
  /dev/sda3  ext3  /mnt/extrapartition
                      44 GB

I put grub on a floppy, and it will boot this installation.  I ran
grub-install to the hard disk for good measure, but it still can't
boot the computer.

I am running this on an Intel board, a D945GNT.  I have tried this
with two different SATA drives and one PATA drive, and all operate the
same way.  I have tried the identical install (using kickstart) on an
unrelated motherboard, and it works there.  I updated the BIOS from
Intel, and it still won't boot this partitioning.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-kb