RAID install - server vs desktop server

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Mar 8 23:09:49 UTC 2006

Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> John Lyon schrieb:
>
>> Is it my imagination, or is the RAID option during install only offered
>> during the *server* install?
>>
> As far as I know, the option "server" during installtion installs less
> than the normal installation - neither mnore nor different packages. In
> other words: The serverinstall is a minimal-install.

John, it is your imagination.

Ingo and all: There are 2 flavors of server:  desktop-server and server...

desktop-server is what you get when you type "server" at the desktop install
boot: prompt.

server is what you get if you use the server CD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current

both flavors have the raid options.

note: I have not seen any "official" definitions/names/whatever concerning the
names of the two flavors.  But there are 2 flavors, and the names are confusing.

^CarlFK