ubuntu in an IBM x40 thinkpad, and a docking station

Michael Shulman shulman at math.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 8 20:03:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:53:32 -0500, Jaime Davila <jdavila at hampshire.edu> wrote:
> If I boot up with the laptop on its docking base, the cd-rom gets
> detected, and it works fine. No major surprise there.
>
> Now, If I boot up with the laptop outside the base, and then put it into
> the base, the cd drive isn't detected. Trying to mount it just gives a
> message about /dev/hdc not being there.

I have exactly the same problem with my X41 thinkpad and X4 ultrabase
dock.  (I was also the one who reported bug #30410).  Bug #18864 is (I
think) just about support for the hotkey Fn-F9 (or whatever your key
is) to dock/undock.  My laptop docks automatically when I plug it in,
but I have Fn-F9 configured as described in 18864 to undock it, which
I always do before I physically detach it; I don't know if it would
work if I didn't.

I don't have the same problem with sleeping that you do, but I have
some other ones.  E.g. if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up
inside the base, my external USB mouse (attached to the base) does not
work.  Whereas if I dock the laptop while it is awake, the mouse
works, but my wired internet connection (also attached to the base) is
sometimes flakey.  I haven't yet spent the time to isolate the
problem, but it seems to me that support for the docking station is
just kind of weird in general.  Thankfully none of the bugs that I
experience are showstopping.

Mike