Questions on keycodes, sleep, and ntp.

Arjun Shankar arjunsha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 12:18:09 UTC 2006

I use an Acer TravelMate 4000NLCi.

Problem 1. Special Keys:

a. Some special keys generate keycodes, but are not bound to any application.
the 'e-key' (keycode 244), and the 'P- key' (keycode 241).
Question: How can I make these work for me?

b. Some keys generate output in xev, but there is no keycode shown:
For example the 'email client key' (which actually works) has the
following xev output upon pressing:
FocusOut event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
              0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
The xev output for the Fn+F1 key (which ejects the cd drive, instead
of displaying help) is:
FocusOut event, serial 22, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 22, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 22, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
              0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
Question: Can I remap these to their right actions?

c. Key combinations Fn+F2 thro Fn+F5 dont generate any output in xev.
Question: How do I make these work for me?

Problem 2: How do I make the system sleep? There is no option for
sleep in the Log Out Menu. Fn+F4 is supposed to do this too. But it is
not even showing xev output.

Problem 3: I use a proxy to connect to the internet, and there is no
nameserver configured. The time sync with ubuntu's ntp server fails on
boot. How can I fix this? Or is it that there is no way to fix it?

Thats about it. If I havent looked hard enough before asking, do tell me.

Arjun Shankar