Linksys USB wireless NIC and resolv.conf

William Stephens wstephens10 at cox.net
Sat Mar 4 20:35:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 20:19 +0100, Paco Ros wrote:
> El Sábado, 4 de Marzo de 2006 19:28, William Stephens escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > mapping hotplug
> >         script grep
> >         map wlan0
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > iface wlan0 inet static
> > address 192.168.20.20
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > nameserver 192.168.20.1
> > gateway 192.168.20.1
> > wireless-essid Access Point
> > wireless-key blahblahblah
> >
> > I have a static ip on a local network and I have read that the dhcp
> > client resets the resolv.conf package. I tried commenting out everything
> > on /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf with no luck. Do I remove client or
> > deactivate client, if so how?
>
> If you are using a static IP address, you don't need all DHCP client stuff. In
> fact, when you run /etc/init.d/network restart no call to dhclient should be
> done.
>
> You can put your name server information in /etc/resolv.conf. Here you have
> mine:
> paco at blackbox:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 192.168.0.100
> nameserver 62.42.230.24
> nameserver 62.42.63.52
>
> Regards.
> --
> Paco Ros - www.pacoros.net
> Només és l'opinió subjetiva d'una persona objectiva.

/etc/init.d/network restart does not hurt anything. Once I have my DNS
in resolv.conf I don't have a problem until reboot. Something in the
boot process cleans resolv.conf out and I have read it has something to
do the the default dhcp stuff on ubuntu but I can't find anything on
exactly what it is.