server install + x

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu Jun 29 21:01:03 UTC 2006

Gabriel Dragffy <dragffy at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hi, please allow me to clarify. Using a standard Ubuntu/Kubuntu DVD at the boot
> prompt you type: server
> This performs a server install, just a base system without X.
> If you then later perform aptitude install kubuntu-desktop, it will install
> KDM. However when I reboot it does not automatically load me into KDM. How can
> I make the computer automatically boot into X?

use
 update-rc.d kdm defaults
to have kdm started in the default runlevels. See the "man update-rc.d"
if you want it only for some runlevels. Maybe you need to replace "kdm"
by something else, look in /etc/init.d how the init script for kdm is
actually called.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>