Changing dpkg behavior

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 23:26:34 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Tom Smith <tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu breezy. I needed to reorganize the filesystem so I did
> the whole backing up thing, reconfigured the partitions, created the new
> filesystems, restored my backups, and reconfigured grub and fstab.
>
> Everything works fine now except that when I add or remove a kernel (I
> do a lot of custom kernels) it resets options in my menu.1st file that
> breaks grub--it's setting my "root" partition back to the old setting.

Have you modified the kopt section in /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect
your new root location?  This is the section of the file:

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro

You may need to edit that to reflect where your new root is located
(obviously mine is /dev/sda1).

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."