advice getting jre installed

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Thu Jun 29 22:06:52 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I am having a little difficulty getting the jre rpm installed.  I am unable to
figure out the proper dependencies to retrieve and install with apt-get.  some
of the dependencies are in fact installed but still rpm complains about them
not being installed.  like gawk is in fact installed.  I dont know what
apt-get shoudl retrieve to intall the proper dependencies for sh-utils,
fileutils, testutils, and glibc.  so somebody please help me with the next
steps of getting jre installed.

--- output ---

p# rpm -ivh jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        glibc >= 2.1.2-11 is needed by jre-1.5.0_07-fcs.i586
        sh-utils >= 2.0-1 is needed by jre-1.5.0_07-fcs.i586
        fileutils >= 4.0-8 is needed by jre-1.5.0_07-fcs.i586
        gawk >= 3.0.4-1 is needed by jre-1.5.0_07-fcs.i586
        textutils >= 2.0-2 is needed by jre-1.5.0_07-fcs.i586
        /bin/sh is needed by jre-1.5.0_07-fcs.i586
# !gawk
gawk --version
GNU Awk 3.1.5
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2005 Free Software Foundation.

(at your option) any later version.

Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA.

-- snip ---

thanks in advance,

Noah